Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. James 1:27

Friday, December 16, 2011

I need a silent night

I came across this song today by Amy Grant , "I Need a Silent Night".  The chorus of the song hit home.

"I need a silent night, a holy night
To hear an angel voice through the chaos and the noise
I need a midnight clear, a little peace right here
To end this crazy day with a silent night"

I heard the song played while I was at home, after I had been scurrying around town today in attempt to get everything I needed to finish up with all of my Christmas projects. The lyrics to the song stopped me dead in my tracks and I quickly began thinking about how very desperate I am for a true and genuine "silent night".  What exactly would a "silent night" tonight look like?  Well, to me it would look something like this ... I would be sitting at home on my couch, snuggled up with a blanket, sipping on a cup of coffee, just me and Jesus.  There would be no rushing around trying to get the Christmas cards written out and in the mail before 5 - no wrapping gifts - no baking cookies and candy - no facebook -  no texting - no Harley barking because he wants to go outside - no phone calls - no music - no searching for adoption timelines - no comparing my journey to everyone elses - no worrying about how long it is taking already -  no worrying about when I'm even going to get a referral - no wondering what my baby girl is doing at this very moment in time -  no nothing ..... just me and Jesus.  There would be silence. Pure silence.  No prayer requests, period. No asking for healing - no asking for wisdom - no asking for patience or forgiveness or peace or trust.  Pure silence.  The only thing heard would be each breath that I take.  Pure silence.  I would be listening.  Listening for a sweet sounding voice.  Listening for Jesus.  Oh how my heart longs for a "silent night".
For something so very simple, we make it nearly impossible to do.  Why is it so hard to accomplish?  I have no idea.  I will be the first to admit I have not seen one of these nights in a VERY long time.  There is always something to do and somewhere to go or I'm just plain tired, and Jesus is the one who gets put on the back burner for another time.  Pretty sad, isn't it?  So if you're anything like me, let's do our best and try to "end each crazy day with a silent night".
Rather than my usual prayer requests and praises I ask that you would sit back and just listen.  Simply listen for Jesus.....

"...in quietness and trust is your strength."  Isaiah 30:15

Love-

amy

No comments:

Post a Comment